Disneyland Railroad > Kalamazoo Handcar
After a lengthy refurbishment, the newly repainted Kalamazoo Handcar has been returned to the side track in front of the Disneyland Railroad Station on Main Street.
Photo from August 22, 2010.
The Disneyland Railroad's Kalamazoo Handcar sits on the former passing track in front of Main Street's Station. A fixture in Disneyland since 1956 (at the latest), the pump trolley was a gift for noted railroad fanatic, Walt Disney.
Note: Passing tracks at Main Street and Frontierland were used when Disneyland only operated two trains, which originally traveled in opposite directions. To improve safety and accommodate more trains, all trains were set to travel around Disneyland in a clockwise manner. Since the crossing loops were no longer needed, the Kalamazoo Handcar was permanently displayed on the siding at Main Street Station.
An early Disneyland photo of Walt Disney and the Kalamazoo Handcar in front of the E.P. Ripley in Frontierland. According to the Kalamazoo Manufacturing Company website, the handcar was made for Walt Disney in 1957.
Image © Walt Disney
An old illustration of the handcar and some of its statistics, as it was once available through the Kalamazoo Manufacturing Company's Catalog.
The company famous for its railroad handcars was originally founded in 1883, as the Kalamazoo Railroad Velocipede and Car Company. In 1901, the company would change its name it to the Kalamazoo Railway Supply Company. The name remained until the early 1950's, when it was finally renamed the Kalamazoo Manufacturing Company, due to the growth in the company's non-railroad related business.
© Kalamazoo Manufacturing Company, Kalamazoo, MI.