Unlike the more modern C.K. Holliday & the E.P. Ripley, the Fred Gurley was originally built in 1894 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Pennsylvania. The locomotive was purchased in Louisiana, where it was originally used to transport sugar cane. The working engine was purchased for Disney in 1957, at a cost of $1,500. It was restored and named in honor of Fred G. Gurley, then president & executive chairman of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (1944-1957). After its extensive $35,000 restoration, the Fred Gurley's first trip around Disneyland was made on March 28, 1958.