Buena Vista Street's Red Car Trolleys were based on the popular light rail cars operated by the Pacific Electric Railway. When Walt Disney in the early 1920's, the Red Cars were a transportation fixture throughout Los Angeles.
In 1901, Henry Hunington (Pacific Electric Railway) took control of the Los Angeles Consolidated Light Railway and extended rail routes throughout Los Angeles County and into the adjacent Orange, Riverside and San Bernadino Counties. On April 8, 1961 the Red Car Trolley made its last trip on the line connecting Los Angeles and Long Beach.
To acknowledge its history, the Port of Los Angeles operates a restored 1.5-mile trolley route called the Waterfront Red Car Line.