Disneyland Windows > D. S. Gilmore, M.D.
Location: Fortuosity Shop, Main Street USA, Disneyland.
When Disneyland opened in 1955, the Upjohn Company sponsored a turn of the century style pharmacy on Main Street (where the Fortuosity Shop is currently located). The second story windows still honor the Upjohn Company executives who opened that original Disneyland shop.
Former Upjohn President Donald S. Gilmore was a close personal friend and part-time neighbor of Walt Disney's. Disney convinced Gilmore to invest in Disneyland, leading to the Upjohn Company's Disneyland sponsorship. Though honored as one, D. S. Gilmore was never a Medical Doctor, instead he was an executive responsible for Upjohn's success.
Gilmore became the Upjohn Company President in 1944, when his wife's cousin, Dr. Lawrence N. Upjohn retired. Gilmore was both the stepson and son-in-law of company founder, Dr. William E. Upjohn. In 1913, W. E. Upjohn married Gilmore's widowed mother, Carrie Sherwood Gilmore. Further cementing family ties, on December 16, 1916, Donald Gilmore married Genevieve Upjohn, William's youngest daughter from an earlier marriage.
Gilmore maintained the Upjohn Company's success by leading research and development. Donald Sherwood Gilmore died on December 21, 1979 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. His wife, Genevieve Upjohn Gilmore died on March 12, 1990 in Kalamzaoo.