Disneyland Recipes > Desserts
Makes 10 large Mickey Mouse shaped fritters or 2 dozen small fritters
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105˚)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- vegetable oil for frying
- powdered sugar
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
3. Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3 inch squares. Cover with a towl and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350˚ F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Dust warm beignets with powered sugar and serve immediately.