On July 17, 1955, Canal Boats of the World opened as one of Disneyland's original attractions. However, the attraction was only partially completed, as money was tight and the construction deadlines even tighter. After a couple months, the lackluster attraction was closed to be remodeled. When the ride reopened on June 16, 1956, it featured Disney-inspired miniatures, improved landscaped and a Monstro the Whale for the boats to sail into. With its storybook-themed villages, the attraction was renamed the Storybook Land Canal Boats.
Each of the cute little canal boats has been christened with a Disney name and decorated to match. Belle features paintings of Mrs. Potts, Lumiere and other Beauty & the Beast characters painted onto the hull. Sebastian and Flounder have beem painted onto Ariel's namesake, which carries a seafoam green, Little Mermaid-themed paint scheme.
Hidden Mickey hunters should keep an eye out for Flora, named after one of Sleeping Beauty's fairy godmothers. The predomninantly pink canal boat features floral-themed embelishments. A small, purple Hidden Mickey has been hidden along with all of Flora's flowers.